Re: Personal Status Updates!

No rush. I hope you're feeling better.

My phone could be doing that. Or it could just not be doing anything to the apps that I tell it to move to the SD card. I deleted the Star Trek game and now it seems to be running smoothly.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Well, I have been forced to abandon my Nexus S. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice phone back in 2010 when I was using it for phone calls and texting via SMS, Hangouts and Facebook and for E-mail. But. It can't run Google Maps properly. The app freezes or crashes. The budget priced Moto E 2nd Gen I got my mother can run Google Maps easily on 1GB of RAM and a cheap processor, but the single-core Nexus S and its 500MB of RAM just can't make it work. I'll keep it on hand as a backup phone, but I've come to depend on Google Maps for navigation in the car so it wouldn't be a long-term backup.

Hey, f.lux is out on Google Play! I love this app. It's saved my sleep by filtering out the blue light from my screens. I've been using the night-mode built into Android, but it's a little too strong and it doesn't seem to switch on when night comes. I have to turn it on manually and I have to toggle through four or five different presets before I get from automatic (which doesn't work) to off (which is indistinguishable from auto) to outdoor-bright (which is about the same as off) to day (same) and then night mode (finally). f.lux mercifully turns on and off automatically. You never need to think about it.

Next, I would like my laptop to go into airplane mode whenever I put it in sleep.

I've just started wearing sunglasses when I'm using my computer. The screen became a bit much for my eyes. I've tried that sort of screen filter thing that adjusts the coloring, but I found that when I wanted to watch movie trailers or look at pictures, I didn't want to have to turn it off. I really should keep using it. smile

I'm used to just shutting my laptop when I want to go to bed at night. It used to put it into hibernate, but I've made some changes an now it just sleeps the computer. The problem is that sometimes it will turn on in the middle of the night for no reason and the fan will wake me up. It's really annoying, so now I just shut down completely. Fortunately, I installed a SSD a while back, so it doesn't take several minutes to get everything up and running anymore.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Avoiding the BvS thread like a plague, but I just wanted to say that news headlines are already filled with huge spoilers. The movie has been out for a day!

What the f---- are these a------- thinking? Son of a b----! I can't drop everything and run to the theater the second a f----- movie comes out!

F---!!!! S---! M----- F------!

Well. That is tough. But I will have your notes for you tomorrow on your novel.

307 (edited by Informant 2016-03-26 15:43:27)

Thanks. Looking forward to it! Please keep in mind that it was an pre-release draft! I'm still making some fixes to it. smile

EDIT: minor fixes. Not changing anything substantial.

I'm afraid, due to an incomplete backup before running the latest Android update, I lost all my notes (and two weeks worth of text messages). So, this is more a stream of consciousness based on what I remember marking up rather than the actual notes.

The only grammatical issues I would draw your attention to: in one section, you wrote "junkie" as "junky," so I'd do a find and replace for that. In various places, you neglect to use the second conditional form for describing hypothetical situations. You use "was" when you should use "were" -- there's a pretty simple summary at http://writingexplained.org/was-vs-were-difference -- and you can probably find every instance in your manuscript by running a search for "was." I would try this out for you, but my phone is still rebooting.

I think there were a few typos, but I have lost my bookmarks, so... tough.

In terms of the story, I think it's well written and a riveting, compelling, emotional adventure. Your political issues and the painfully fascistic environment comes through well and I really felt Collin's outrage and despair. Collin's enlightened yet helpless state of mind contrasts nicely with Libby's deluded belief that the authorities are all trustworthy and one can do right simply by surrendering to anyone in power.  The entire sequence where Libby goes to Sim and agrees to turn herself in to clear her name only to discover this is nothing but a comforting fiction for the gullible -- it's masterfully written and it really gives a full and stirring portrait of what it's like both inside and outside this societal prison.

Collin's defiant surrender with a statement at the end -- if you were going for the character purposefully doing something practically pointless but personally meaningful, then I guess it's fine. However, the prose seemed to present it as a critical step in the narrative as well as Collin's own journey and -- I'm not sure there was enough there to really sell why Collin's letter is going to make a difference.

I would say the story, such as it is, suffers from being the opening act of a larger story and within this individual episode, there isn't a full or complete arc. I don't feel the Libby and Collin have come to a point where I'm satisfied to step back from the story for now and wait for the next installment; I don't feel like I've hit a jumping point for the next book -- I feel like I've read a fraction of a novel and there's the sense of the story just cutting off as opposed to creating a cliffhanger or a transition point. The vague indications of something malicious in the body just isn't enough to hang onto.

I don't know if it's helpful to refer to other novels in this dystopian genre, but the first HUNGER GAMES left us with Katniss having discovered her own strengths and weaknesses even if the villains remained all-powerful; the first DIVERGENT book ended with Tris willfully leaving behind the society she'd known. The characters had achieved something, albeit something small and personal. With FREEDOM/HATE, Libby and Collin have made a few tentative steps towards something or other --it's not clear. Libby still instinctively trusts in the authorities despite their pursuit of her; Collin has gone from being a low-ranking rebel to being a low-ranking rebel with a would-be manifesto.

I don't know if this is something you could address or would even want to at this point, but I didn't feel very satisfied with this one episode even though the writing was strong.

If I weren't familiar with your writing to begin with, I don't know if I would feel sufficiently invested to keep an eye out for the sequel. I feel confident that you're going somewhere interesting based on having read your previous work and you've earned my trust that your setups will lead to worthy payoffs -- but FREEDOM/HATE, within its pages, doesn't give me anything to reinforce that confidence.  It's well-worded, gripping prose, but it doesn't overcome the weakness that it's not a complete story, just a portion of one. The end of FREEDOM/HATE's first volume hasn't provided anything concrete to serve as temporary ending.

Cool. Excellent thoughts. Thanks for reading it and letting me know how you felt about it. It's hard for me to see the story on a book-by-book level, so it's cool to hear that perspective.

ME: "Did you listen to the Communitary?"

MATT: "It's just Dan Harmon being a self-destructive tool."

ME: "What did he say that was self destructive?"

MATT: "Just talking about how shitty the episode was, how he knew it was going to be shitty, and when he was pleasantly surprised at it not being shitty, he was still annoyed that it was so shitty."

ME: "So you'll consider my super critical REBORN commentary to be self destructive?"

MATT: "I will if you repeat yourself as hating your creations with EVERY piece of SLIDERS material you EVER generate."

ME: " ... "

On the four page teaser that opens SLIDERS REBORN: "So, this four page teaser where Rembrandt comes out of the vortex to find Quinn, Wade and Arturo waiting for him -- it's totally stolen from the conclusion of THE WOLVERINE. Not an original bone in this body, boys."

On the opening scene of "Reunion": "Here, we have Laurel Hills in Quinn's basement. Matt read this scene in the outline and told me off because I failed to include any explanation for why Laurel was in the basement in the first place. I noticed this too when writing the script and decided, on the spot, to give Laurel a drinking problem. Master planner here! I just the story had to start where the Pilot started. Just sentimental, really."

On the third script, "Revelation": "So, this script as outlined was just a series of incoherent action set pieces. Matt read it and had Words for me. Words that induced me to fire him off this project, shortly after he quit. I threw out all the ideas he rubbished and did something else.

"All this stuff with poisoned water and the sliders hiding in a World War II bunker and the doomsday prophecies on the second Earth and the world hit by global dimming in the third -- I love it so much. It's so relevant and meaningful and well-considered and imaginative. Such a skillful hand in world-building. I paid Nigel Mitchell eighty bucks to come up with all this."

On the prequel novella: "So, this novella -- it was originally Part 2 instead of Part 4. The first draft was Quinn spilling his story to his mom who didn't remember him. Matt said it was one of the most unfathomable things he'd ever read because no woman would listen to this deranged story from a crazy person.

"So I decided to set it in a mental asylum with a psychiatrist as the listener so that he'd be getting paid to listen to a deranged story from a crazy person. At one point, Matt remarked, 'the sliders have to try to find Rembrandt for REASONS,' noting I failed to explain WHY the sliders needed Rembrandt to fix the multiverse. Then Matt said, 'No, I get it -- they need Rembrandt because he's the only one who lived out both timelines, right?' I had actually failed to come up with a reason for why they needed Rembrandt other than to get the cast back together, so I used Matt's reason."

MATT: "The Dan Harmon Communitary you linked me to -- it's not tongue in cheek. It's not self-deprecating or in praise of others. It's just straight up, 'This is the first time I have seen this episode and I am positive it is going to be shitacular.'"

It has taken me a long while to get to a point where I can read something of my own and enjoy it. Even now, I could love the characters and what they say or do (or hate what they say or do, depending on the character) while picking apart all of the descriptions, because in my mind, the characters control themselves and I am just describing what they do, so if they say something stupid, that is their fault. The rest is on me.

Is that weird?

I had to go out of town for a few days this past week, so I didn't get much work done. This means that this coming week, I have to create a "final" version of my eBook and get that submitted for publication on my release date. I'm sure that I can go back and make minor corrections after that, but I'm using it as my deadline to just wrap up this project and move on to book 2. So I will be using your feedback a little bit this week as I go through the book again. I'm sure I've already fixed some of the issues, but we will see!

Then I get to work on marketing. I hate that part the most. smile

The interesting part of writing is getting different feedback from different people and seeing so many different angles from which to approach the story. While editing, you have to try to consider everything while maintaining your own perspective. But the whole process is interesting. I've had family members read my books and some won't really like them while others will love them. Then you have debating and arguing, and as a writer I know that you can't please everyone, but part of me loves to hear the back and forth. It makes me feel like I've done something right, if others will have those discussions without having me add anything new to the conversation.

ME: "I can't come up with a story to feature Jerry's Quinn and Robert Floyd's Mallory. I want to so badly -- to pay tribute to Rob and his contribution. But it's impossible. And that's WITH my flexible standards of quality."

MATT: "Why can't you come up with a story?"

ME: "I was thinking was that Quinn runs afoul of a psychic who destroys Quinn's mind only for Quinn, who should be a vegetable, to casually stand up. Turns out Mallory's memories are still in there as a backup personality, the startup-repair for Quinn's brain."

MATT: "That is ludicrous. Go back and read what you just wrote."

ME: "Eventually, Quinn is in control of the body but seeing Mallory and the two combine their knowledge to save the day. What's the ludicrous part?"

MATT: "A crazed telepath attacking Quinn - only for him to learn Quinn anticipated this and built a back up partition-friendly alter ego into his own brain?! I think you're writing these now so you can put my reactions on the BBoard."

ME: "Don't be silly. And I think you've missed the REAL problem with this story, Matt."

MATT: "Do tell."

ME: "What possible situation is there where Quinn could only be saved by a ghostly Mallory offering advice? The idea that Mallory is 'street-smart' where Quinn is 'science-smart' operates on the bizarre misunderstanding that Quinn was only book-smart and couldn't function in situations of risk and danger. If you get both actors onscreen, one becomes redundant -- and it sure as heck isn't going to be Jerry, so it just ends up disrespectful to Rob."

Um. But I have now come up with an idea. Actually, come up is too strong a term. I was watching the series finale of HOUSE where House is in a burning building, depressed and resigned to dying in the flames. He begins to hallucinate visions of by guest-characters who left the show in previous seasons. He flashes back to the events of the day, debating and discussing with the guest-stars (his subconscious mind) what led to this suicidal state of despair.

I was also watching the episode of TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES where Sarah Connor, injured and paranoid, is urged by a hallucination of her dead lover to trust a compassionate doctor whom Sarah assumes can only be an enemy.

And then I was watching a rare Season 5 episode of THE DEAD ZONE -- rare in that it was actually good. Psychic Johnny Smith is engaged to assist the police in hunting for a kidnapped child while overwhelmed with strange visions of reuniting with a long-lost lover. Eventually, Johnny realizes he is being strangled by the kidnapper; the entire episode to this point has been a series of psychic visions to remind him that in his pocket is a pocketknife which he uses to slash the kidnapper and escape.

So, I've decided to totally rip off all of the above to put Mallory and Quinn in the same story together for a short script. No originality here, fellas.

ME: "So, I think the solution is that Mallory isn't actually in the story. Quinn is alone hallucinating and near-death and he sees Mallory -- who is actually his subconscious survival instinct as played by Rob Floyd. I got rid of the psychics and mind control and voodoo so you won't hate it."

MATT: "You're wrong. I already hate it. The moment you removed voodoo from the equation? Me equals out. But why does Quinn end up in this near-death situation all by himself?"

ME : "Because I want the story to be largely Quinn and Mallory onscreen talking."

MATT: "Okay. So why is Quinn all by himself? Because you have to have a better answer than that."

ME: "Arrogant overconfidence."

MATT: "Wrong. You're going to be wrong every time. The answer is he doesn't go in by himself."

ME: "I have come up with an explanation for why Quinn goes in alone. It could even be considered insightful."

MAGGIE: "Mallory, you sure you don't need backup on this one?" 

QUINN: "Maggie, come on. This takedown is going to be the most boring thing to happen since Wade dated a robot."

MALLORY: "Interesting move there. No shortage of friends. A crack squad of commandos and Marines who stand at your side. But you came here alone. Every choice. Every crossroad. Always alone."

QUINN: "I thought I had this." 

MALLORY: "You always do -- and you're proven right time and time again -- until you're facing off against a tornado or worse."

QUINN: "I needed a word with alone with Mr. Holt. One more word. I needed to convince myself.. convince him -- that he shouldn't give up."

MALLORY: (looking at Holt's body) "Good job there."

MATT: "Blegh. Stop referencing shitty Season 3 plots. I'm telling you, it's odd without the other sliders."

ME: "Oh, the others show up at the end. But Quinn gets himself into this mess, he gets himself out. Mallory isn't really there."

MATT: "With this rationale, why not swap in Colin?"

ME: "Because I FUCKING HATE CHARLIE O'CONNELL."

MATT: "That mindset doesn't serve the story. It serves ego."

ME: "This is not ego. This is a tribute to a good man and a wonderful actor who treated my show with respect and dignity. Rob deserves to be in SLIDERS REBORN. Charlie O'Connell... uh, he can have my bowling membership card. The real issue is working out a situation where Quinn is near death but can escape because Mallory points him to some tiny, minute piece of information that Quinn and his genius dismissed as irrelevant but turns out to be critical to get out alive."

MATT: "Blegh. That is the sound of personal bias overriding story. By your own admission, you are writing toward the scene you want to see, but you're not planning anything. You will put whatever will justify, to you, the scene between Quinns."

ME: "I'm not writing a script, just bullet points, because I don't quite know how to get to The Quinns aside from knowing it has to be the first scene."

MATT: "I know. That's why you hit me up with this bulletproof write-up, correct? So I could shoot some bullets in it?"

ME: "I was kind of hoping you could apply some wax and polish to it as well."

MATT: "I couldn't plot this stuff. It's so dense."

ME: "Do you mean dense as in stupid or dense as in overly layered or are you cleverly meaning it both ways?"

MATT: "You have good ideas. They're just overly complicated."

ME: "So, in your logical, flights of fantasy free version of this story, what would happen?"

[Ten minutes later]

ME: "Well. I see now that the labyrinth of a manufacturing complex being flooded with explosive hallucinogenic gas by an industrialist who's enslaved his workforce for reasons unknown may have been a little too convoluted."

You have fun conversations with people. smile

Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to type my stories. I often have an idea -- Quinn, in a near-death situation, is confronted by a hallucination of Mallory! But trying to work out how to justify that is troubling and I can't get myself to type anything.

However, today, in a traffic jam, I triggered the voice recorder on my phone and forced myself to talk out loud about what the plot would be and by the time I was finished, I was almost halfway home! That's a neat approach in attempting a mental change of venue.

I could never get the hang of using a voice recorder. I usually hate the sound of my own voice, so that makes it hard to get into it.

Usually, my notes are mental. So writing ideas down is how I shift my perspective a bit before writing.

Big news!!!

Well, big-ish.

Not really.

I'm going to see Batman v Superman tomorrow morning! Finally, I will be able to rejoin the conversations! smile

The Freedom/Hate release day is here! It seem like it's taken forever to get to this point. I'm experimenting with running ads in a couple of places this time, so we'll see how that turns out.

I now have a about three months to get book 2 ready! This is going to be a long process smile

Something you don't really think about until you're selling books on Amazon: Amazon.uk reviews don't appear on Amazon.com. for tax reasons or whatever, the sites are kept separate. As a result, reviews don't cross over between sites. This keeps review numbers lower across the sites, which is potentially damaging to sales all around (for smaller authors). Some sites won't let you run promotions through them without a certain number of reviews, so that makes it more annoying.

There are worse problems to have, but it can be frustrating. smile

I'm sorry to hear that. It's a shame there's no way to aggregate the reviews in full. Should I read the released version or would it be much the same as the preview copy you sent me?

I also really like the cover. It's a sharp piece of work. I've been struggling with graphics on my SLIDERS project. I have modern day photos of all the actors and I was able to create 125 x 125 pixel images of them in the same frame, but when Matt boosted the image sizes to 800 x 300 pixels, the images were no longer convincing. I eventually gave up and created a banner where four silhouettes representing the sliders stand before San Francisco. I searched stock image sites until I found silhouettes that resembled the original four.

I also made a version of a 1995 promo shot of Jerry where his 1995 face is now his 2015 face but with the same hair. Matt called it creepily disturbing and insisted it was mismatched and the head was too big, but I polled random people in the street and nobody complained. Well, they complained about being accosted by a stranger, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the photo.

It was also really tough to find a modern photo of Robert Floyd with the right expression for the Mallory script I'm writing. I eventually found this YouTube interview where he's cheerfully talking about making cocktails and I found just the right frame where he's about to smile, but paused right where his face when frozen looks impassioned and desperate.

The released version is mostly the same. The only changes would be to spelling/grammar type stuff (some that you mentioned and some other stuff), so there's really no need to reread. I welcome any and all reviews though! Even with negatives!

Some of the other writer friends I have are on a real mission to get reviews from the people who read their books. Even friends and family who will read the books and say nice things usually end up not posting reviews on Amazon. I'm not on quite the campaign that some are on, but I definitely agree that any review is helpful. Good or bad, long or short. I doesn't matter, as long as something is up there.

Thanks for the compliment on the cover. I have a brother who is awesome with the art stuff, so he usually does my covers. I get to be a part of the process, which is cool. For this one, I made a mockup of what I was thinking and he based the final version on that. I'm really happy with how it turned out. He also did some art for my Facebook ads, which we also used on the website www.FreedomHate.com.

I remember when I was doing my Buffy season, I made some artwork for episodes. Part of the project was making it seem like a real TV season, so I made TV Guide-style ads and whatnot. So I sympathize with your pain over the artwork. I was working on a series that took place directly after the series ended, so it wasn't as challenging for me to find images that worked. With Sliders, you have some cast members who are difficult to find these days. That would be tricky.

I have developed an unholy addiction to my Windows 10 tablet. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I keep trying to use it as a touch browser / comic book reader / e-reader / instant messenger every few months. It's always a disaster. The only decent e-reader app that doesn't crash and freeze on Windows 10 is Kobo and half the time, it won't boot if there's no wifi connection. The touchscreen keyboard is an abomination with no swipe typing and a layout that constantly sees the backslash take the place of a space. The comic book reader frequently presents a black screen as the next page, the thing randomly stops responding to touch input and every single time I use it as a tablet, I have to reinstall at least one driver (the accelerometer or the suddenly lost network protocols).

I'm using the Asus T100 Chi, but my friend Henrietta has the Surface Pro 3 and it has exactly the same issues. I need to stop wasting time trying to use this thing something it's not when I already have an iPad mini. I just feel compelled to TRY every now and then and it is always, always, always a mistake. Maybe I should sell it and get a non-touchscreen / no-detachment laptop instead.

That sucks. I think I've seen people running Android on those. I wonder if that works better.

I would install Android on the T100 Chi if I could get it to dual-boot. It works fine as a mini-laptop. The truth is that despite my increase use of my phone for RSS feeds, social media, E-mail, instant messaging, ebooks, etc., there are times when you just need a laptop. I can plug this laptop into the HDMI ports of TVs, use the memory card slot and USB ports to help friends do data transfers, sort files, convert documents, have documents open side by side, etc.. A PC may not be the speediest route for some tasks, but it's always going to be the more versatile machine when facing off against a phone or tablet.

If it weren't for comic books, I would have probably sold the tablet by now, although it is my preferred web browser until I want to type something. The only quirk this laptop has that I haven't entirely solved -- the Bluetooth touchpad used to go haywire and lose all sensitivity, seeing the cursor move around either sluggishly or randomly. Eventually, I found that disabling touchpad scrolling and gestures fixed it, so I think the driver was badly programmed. It kind of sucks to have a touchpad where you can't scroll -- or it would if you didn't have a touchscreen.

And now on alternate character interpretations in a long-running series:

So, I've been catching up on WITCHBLADE comics lately. Sara Pezzini is a New York homicide detective who finds a mystical bracelet that can form body armour, fire bursts of energy, form weapons and equipment and appears to have had a long line of female wielders who used it to fight evil. The first 79 issues were mostly crap until visionary writer Ron Marz came aboard the book and changed it from a bad girl in a metal bikini series to the eerily supernatural police procedural with feminist overtones that it probably should have always been. Marz was caustic in interviews towards the previous incarnation of the comic -- but he was super-respectful in his actual scripting, maintaining the previous mythology and making sure not to contradict his predecessors -- except in one case.

The original WITCHBLADE writers had an unhealthy fixation on one of the lead antagonists, Ian Nottingham, an assassin in the pay of a wealthy industrialist. In the first issue, Ian murders Detective Sara Pezzini's partner. In the following issues, Nottingham is portrayed as a mysterious, deadly, romantic figure who approaches Sara and attempts to save her from monsters. Sara is attracted to him despite the fact that he's a remorseless killer who executed her friend.

Throughout the first 79 issues of the series, Nottingham kills numerous people, most of them criminal figures and is shown to be largely in thrall to his masters but with an inexplicable attachment to Sara -- and the series presents him as an appealing, romantic, desirable man with long, flowing hair, a katana blade, rippling muscles and Sara perpetually in awe of his silent, moody, detached, aloof persona. They work together on occasion to fight monsters, Ian always disappearing afterwards before Sara can decide whether to have sex with him or arrest him.

Ron Marz took over the series and wrote a brief two issue arc with #92 - #93 where Nottingham returns, being chased by the Yakuza whom he claims are pursuing him because he helped the Japanese justice department against them. He asks for Sara's help.

Marz scripts Nottingham very differently; the mysterious, tormented, terse assassin has become chatty, condescending, flirty, and constantly flattering Sara and putting down her work as a police officer. He kills numerous Yakuza agents while insisting to Sara that he's doing his job to fight for justice. It's revealed that Nottingham is lying; he wasn't working with the police in Japan; he was killing Yakuza leaders to take their power for himself -- everything he said to Sara about justice was just manipulative rhetoric; his attraction to Sara is just an empty mind game and this time, Sara punches him out and arrests him at last.

Marz takes a formerly mysterious, detached, thoughtful, and in some ways unknowable figure and first re-characterizes him as obvious and shallow before revealing that he's a selfish man whose every spoken word is worthless crap. On one level, Marz has written a completely new character and given him the same name as an old one. On another, Marz is making the point that strip away the mystique and romance from the Ian of #1 - 79 and you get the Ian of #92 - #93: a self-serving, manipulative murderer whom Sara should have arrested ages ago.

I just wonder if there's a smoother way to handle it. I guess it's something you only need to consider if you're taking over from a previous writer.

I would install Android on the T100 Chi if I could get it to dual-boot. It works fine as a mini-laptop. The truth is that despite my increase use of my phone for RSS feeds, social media, E-mail, instant messaging, ebooks, etc., there are times when you just need a laptop. I can plug this laptop into the HDMI ports of TVs, use the memory card slot and USB ports to help friends do data transfers, sort files, convert documents, have documents open side by side, etc.. A PC may not be the speediest route for some tasks, but it's always going to be the more versatile machine when facing off against a phone or tablet.

If it weren't for comic books, I would have probably sold the tablet by now, although it is my preferred web browser until I want to type something. The only quirk this laptop has that I haven't entirely solved -- the Bluetooth touchpad used to go haywire and lose all sensitivity, seeing the cursor move around either sluggishly or randomly. Eventually, I found that disabling touchpad scrolling and gestures fixed it, so I think the driver was badly programmed. It kind of sucks to have a touchpad where you can't scroll -- or it would if you didn't have a touchscreen.

And now on alternate character interpretations in a long-running series:

So, I've been catching up on WITCHBLADE comics lately. Sara Pezzini is a New York homicide detective who finds a mystical bracelet that can form body armour, fire bursts of energy, form weapons and equipment and appears to have had a long line of female wielders who used it to fight evil. The first 79 issues were mostly crap until visionary writer Ron Marz came aboard the book and changed it from a bad girl in a metal bikini series to the eerily supernatural police procedural with feminist overtones that it probably should have always been. Marz was caustic in interviews towards the previous incarnation of the comic -- but he was super-respectful in his actual scripting, maintaining the previous mythology and making sure not to contradict his predecessors -- except in one case.

The original WITCHBLADE writers had an unhealthy fixation on one of the lead antagonists, Ian Nottingham, an assassin in the pay of a wealthy industrialist. In the first issue, Ian murders Detective Sara Pezzini's partner. In the following issues, Nottingham is portrayed as a mysterious, deadly, romantic figure who approaches Sara and attempts to save her from monsters. Sara is attracted to him despite the fact that he's a remorseless killer who executed her friend.

Throughout the first 79 issues of the series, Nottingham kills numerous people, most of them criminal figures and is shown to be largely in thrall to his masters but with an inexplicable attachment to Sara -- and the series presents him as an appealing, romantic, desirable man with long, flowing hair, a katana blade, rippling muscles and Sara perpetually in awe of his silent, moody, detached, aloof persona. They work together on occasion to fight monsters, Ian always disappearing afterwards before Sara can decide whether to have sex with him or arrest him.

Ron Marz took over the series and wrote a brief two issue arc with #92 - #93 where Nottingham returns, being chased by the Yakuza whom he claims are pursuing him because he helped the Japanese justice department against them. He asks for Sara's help.

Marz scripts Nottingham very differently; the mysterious, tormented, terse assassin has become chatty, condescending, flirty, and constantly flattering Sara and putting down her work as a police officer. He kills numerous Yakuza agents while insisting to Sara that he's doing his job to fight for justice. It's revealed that Nottingham is lying; he wasn't working with the police in Japan; he was killing Yakuza leaders to take their power for himself -- everything he said to Sara about justice was just manipulative rhetoric; his attraction to Sara is just an empty mind game and this time, Sara punches him out and arrests him at last.

Marz takes a formerly mysterious, detached, thoughtful, and in some ways unknowable figure and first re-characterizes him as obvious and shallow before revealing that he's a selfish man whose every spoken word is worthless crap. On one level, Marz has written a completely new character and given him the same name as an old one. On another, Marz is making the point that strip away the mystique and romance from the Ian of #1 - 79 and you get the Ian of #92 - #93: a self-serving, manipulative murderer whom Sara should have arrested ages ago.

I just wonder if there's a smoother way to handle it. I guess it's something you only need to consider if you're taking over from a previous writer.

So, I did the unthinkable -- I upgraded my iPad Mini 2 from iOS 8.1.3 to 9.3.1. I hadn't planned on it. I liked all my jailbreak tweaks. But there turned out to be a new feature that made upgrading worthwhile for me, and it didn't even come from Apple. Google released a new iOS keyboard app, Gboard, with swipe-typing, and it was only for iOS 9 and up.

Swipe-typing is so convenient and speedy -- I just couldn't see myself doing without it if it were available. I was kind of nervous because my iPad 2 went from being a capable tablet to a lagging mess after a few rounds of upgrades, but after some obsessive Googling indicated that poor iOS 9 performance on the Mini 2 was anomalous, I did the (irreversible) upgrade.

It's good. A few of the animations are a little laggy here and there, but it doesn't affect usage at all. I liked having the jailbreak feature of pattern unlock and miss it. Jailbreaking also allowed a blue light filter, but thankfully, iOS 9 has one installed. However, the occasional pause for animations makes me think that upgrading any further would be pushing my luck when downgrading isn't possible.

This final chapter of SLIDERS REBORN keeps giving me pause for thought and I keep wondering if maybe I've gotten overattached to a certain idea. I keep saying that I see the sliders as superhero characters and that the final installment is SLIDERS doing a superhero movie. But -- well, there are certain aspects of superhero films that wouldn't suit the characters at all (like costumes). The main thing I wanted to do -- I didn't want Quinn to ever throw a single punch and to present a version of Quinn Mallory who has become so powerful through his mastery of sliding that he never has to use violence.  But it is *really* difficult to work out situations of physical threat and danger in this fashion and I don't know if I can maintain it. On some level, it is again an instance of personal bias. There was a poster awhile back on this Bboard who kept insisting that Quinn's maturity was best represented through Quinn beating people up and shooting them on a regular basis which made me feel compelled to write a script around rejecting that viewpoint entirely. However, this has put me in a situation where Quinn's pacifism might have become an authorial decision rather than a character decision.

I have cracked the screen on my smartphone. The tempered glass protector has a tiny, circular opening for the front-facing camera. There's a crack next to the camera lens. Probably from one of the times I dropped it.

Oh well! It was only a $160 phone. And I never use the front facing camera anyway. It's fine. I wonder if it's still waterproof, though.

I keep seeing SLIDERS resembling superhero comics where I suddenly realized that a confusing plot problem could be addressed by bringing in a guest-character who appeared in one scene of one episode and this character's presence would immediately justify all the weird contortions of the plot.

Terrifying dream:

DAN HARMON: "So who do we want to play Quinn Mallory's teenaged daughter?"

ME: "Uh -- well, she would have to look like a teenaged Zoe McLellan, right? So we find someone who has the same jawline."

DAN HARMON: "I admire your literalism, it must be so tranquil and unchallenging. But fine. If we aim for matching McLellan's jawline, we go with someone like this."

http://s33.postimg.org/euhfqu8i7/lfry.jpg

DAN HARMON: "Or we go for someone who can mimic Jerry's temperament and screen presence instead of someone who resembles an actress who played Jerry's female double in one episode."

ME: "Which temperament are we talking about?"

DAN HARMON: "Well, for me, the definitive Quinn-scene would be from 'Gillian' where Quinn is sitting in the chair, listening to Gillian talk about her problems and full of earnest empathy matched with the vision and intelligence of a genius. This girl has that look."

http://s33.postimg.org/8guncggb3/Clipboard02.jpg

ME: "But she doesn't look like Zoe McLellan -- "

DAN HARMON: "God damn it. I quit. I hear Josef Anderson is available and he's clearly more your speed, you hack. Have fun trying to decide which actress plays a character in your imaginary project that isn't actually getting filmed."

ME: "You TAKE THAT BACK! YOU TAKE THAT -- "

At this point, I woke up.

Interesting. You should get Chevy Chase for the role! ☺

I was wondering if you would recognize the first actress. She was Marina Oswald in that show you extra'd in. I do enjoy dreamcasting -- I imagine the character as looking like actress #1 but with the acting ability and body language of #2.

I posted in the DC thread about the DC REBIRTH comic -- but just to summarize: the Flash is unstuck in time, erased from existence. In his untethered state, he witnesses historical events and discovers that reality has been altered: the optimistic world he knew has been revised into a darker timeline where past events are now infused with violence, hatred, anger and monstrosity. The Flash battles his way back to reality and learns that this changed existence is the result of a mad scientist's experiments with time and space. The Flash's return restores hope and love to the universe and offers the chance for repair and renewal.

Part 4 of SLIDERS REBORN, which I wrote early last year, is set in 2001, where Quinn describes four years of wonderful adventures with the original sliders until he was caught in the Combine experiment of "The Unstuck Man," which altered history and left Quinn unstuck, witnessing an altered history where Wade and the Professor were dead, home had been invaded and the multiverse was filled with supernatural monsters and paranormal threats. The situation is revealed to be the result of Dr. Geiger's spacetime experiment where Quinn and his doubles were erased, resulting in a corrupted reality and the nightmare version of the life Quinn knew. Quinn battles his way back to reality and is eventually able to restore the original timeline.

A friend remarked, "You're so far ahead of the curve that you're behind it!" Which is to say that superhero comics have clearly been imprinted on my brain, but I've learned all I can from them and should start studying something new for narrative techniques. Maybe opera!

I do recognize her now! How did I not see that before?

In my defense, I've been pretty distracted lately. Book 2 s coming out in July! Woohoo!

I get what you're talking about with the similar storylines. That has happened with me before. There were times when I would write a fanfic story and then see something similar happen on the show or in comics (probably Buffy, but it's been a while), and I would have to wonder if someone was reading my work. But it's more likely that you can just start to see the patterns and the way things work, so it changes how you approach stories.

I like to take the Bring It On approach to learning. Watch or read a bunch of different styles and take influence from all of them. smile

Any copying started with me. The guy who wrote DC REBIRTH also wrote the GREEN LANTERN arc where he had to undo the once heroic Hal Jordan having become a deranged supervillain who killed the Green Lantern Crops.  He revealed that Hal had been infected by a primordial entity of fear that had been hiding within the Green Lantern central battery and it had corrupted his mind and driven him mad.

I stole the corruption idea and applied it to time as opposed to a character -- and that writer eventually applied his method to time as well in DC REBIRTH. It's a fairly ludicrous concept for anything resembling a grounded, realistic drama, but superheroes aren't really meant to be realistic and the sliders can occasionally be excused from realism as well if the circumstances are right... or if the story's executed in a short prequel novella that only offers a brief summary of the full story so as to avoid burying the reader with the weight of how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Yay, new book to read! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Another wonky REBIRTH/SLIDERS REBORN similarity jumped out at me -- REBIRTH offers an explanation for why there's a redhaired Wally West and an African American Wally West and why both have the same name (they're distant cousins named after the same grandfather). This new REBORN installment will attempt an explanation for why Robert Floyd and Jerry O'Connell play characters with the same name despite not being the same guy.

On that note, I'm happy to report that I've just completed the first draft of this short script where Quinn and Mallory will, at long last, team up! Sure hope Jerry doesn't balk at sharing the center stage with Robert Floyd for a story (he said somewhat delusionally).

The one thing I'm struggling with -- it's a little confusing to identify who is who at times. Quinn is listed in the script as QUINN and Mallory as MALLORY. However, I wrote Quinn to always address Mallory as "Quinn." ("Quinn!?" "Quinn." "Quinn!" "Quinn." "Quinn?") It can become unclear. And I'm writing a version of Maggie who still calls Quinn by his last name.

Is it something you can easily tackle in the stage directions, notes, etc.

Maggie
(to Quinn)
Back off, Mallory. I'm not in the mood for your crap.

Stuff like that.

I've had similar issues, just in terms of having stories that revolve around lies and deception. Different characters contradicting each other can be hard to follow at times, if you're not paying attention.

My friend Ellie asked me to drive her to a fashion show. I agreed but, due to a miscommunication, gave the impression that I would be joining her in the audience as models traipsed down the runway. I made it 20 minutes before the sheer tedium of this experience became too much to bear and I realized that I'd only agreed to drive her home at the end of this -- so I relocated to the hotel lobby and pulled out my computer and worked on polishing Quinn's dialogue and then remembered in "Luck of the Draw," Quinn gets bored at a fashion show and proceeds to walk out in favour of going to the library instead. He would be so proud of me.

That's kinda funny.

Maybe you were recreating that scene on a subconscious level before you realized what you were doing. Somewhere in your brain, that situation was linked to that reaction.

I like that!
Osmosis and Regurgitation subconciously.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

I have no idea how, but I imagined the Quinn/Mallory script, "Revolution," to be a very short interlude. But I fed my plain text file into the screenwriting software and it's 46 pages exactly -- the length of a 90s TV episode. How does this keep happening?

... so, this was meant as a tribute to the actor who played Mallory -- except I doubt he'd be able to appreciate it because the story makes absolutely no sense unless you remember the Season 2 episode, "Obsession."

Well. It's called fan fiction for a reason!!!

That's funny, about the script length. My brother recently asked me if I intentionally made most of my book's chapters ten pages long. And I don't, really. I have no problem with chapters being way more or way less than ten pages, but somehow, having set a goal of ten pages per day, my mind paces scenes that way.

For these books anyway. In other books, chapters can be upwards of fifty pages. smile

I keep trying to run Android apps on my Windows 10 tablet. It's stupid. Bluestacks is slow. DuOS is slow. Remix OS has no touchscreen support. Arc Welder's converted apps don't load. I really need to leave myself a note that trying to run Android on a Windows machine is an exercise in futility and that if I wanted a god-damn Android tablet, I would have bought one -- or not sold off/returned all the ones I ever had to begin with. I think it's just because Chrome apps have been so terrific at filling in the void of Windows 10 apps that I wondered if Android apps could do the same as well. It's silly.

So, I think a sufficient interval has passed that I can talk about the "Revolution" script and my anxieties over it in the hopes that Informant will tell me what's what.

I feel confident that Parts 1 - 4 of SLIDERS REBORN are a good media tie-in product for the fans. I am less certain about Part 5, "Revolution," because while I put a lot of heart and thought and love into it, I'm not convinced it worked.

The main problem: Mallory is very difficult to write and this character (as opposed to the actor) doesn't belong in SLIDERS REBORN. Originally, REBORN was just going to be the original sliders. But when writing Part 2, the opportunity to use doubles of previously seen guest-stars in supporting roles brought a lot of warmth and charm to the script and this led to realizing that Maggie Beckett could be effective in Part 3, because if you need an action girl, why create a new one when one already exists? Then came the need for a lady scientist in Part 5 that was filled by Diana Davis and omitting Mallory started to seem like it was unfair to Robert Floyd.

Which is stupid. This isn't really being filmed. But it bothered me. Rob worked really hard on the Mallory character. The character was a disastrous failure. None of that is Rob's fault: he studied Jerry O'Connell's acting, he hired an acting coach to help him turn mimicry into an identity crisis, he created a note-perfect recreation of Jerry's voice that would be a performance as well as a tribute -- and when fans told lies about him demanding the end of "New Gods for Old" or blamed him for the cancellation, he bore it gracefully and he was willing to do an hour-long EP.COM interview regarding a job he held for one year over a decade and a half ago.

When Rob received strong material like stealing Maggie's toothbrush or impersonating an orderly or finding allies in rogue journalists or having heartfelt scenes with Amanda Mallory, he shined. Mallory's flaws aren't Rob's. If SLIDERS REBORN is meant to be a celebration of everything great about SLIDERS, then Rob Floyd's omission would be an unacceptable insult.

Even more insulting, however, would be to give Mallory a role that would only reiterate the problem with this character: he's only there because Quinn isn't and a SLIDERS story with Quinn has no use for Mallory whatsoever -- because then I'd be saying the same thing about Rob. And that's not true. I would have loved for Robert Floyd to have played Quinn from the Pilot to the end of the show and I think he would have been superb.

He kept the spirit of Quinn alive as best he could. He honoured a wonderful creation, playing Quinn's inner strength, scientific brilliance and the heavy burden of his knowledge. He honoured SLIDERS. So SLIDERS REBORN needed to honour him. Except REBORN established in Part 1 that all of Quinn's doubles were erased, so how could Mallory even appear?

The main ingredients for any REBORN tale featuring Mallory, I felt: first, Quinn and Mallory should share scenes together to highlight what makes them unique. Second: Mallory should save Quinn's life somehow. I decided that Mallory's main gift is that he reads people and details very well -- a character trait that was not exactly consistent in Season 5, but prominent in "A Current Affair" where he wins Matt Drudge's allegiance and "Map of the Mind" where he convinces the asylum staff that he works there -- whereas Quinn is not quite as insightful when it comes to human nature.

I imagined a situation where Quinn is trapped in a room filling with poisonous gas, dying, hallucinating from the poison -- and then hallucinating Mallory, who helps him find some tiny detail that lets him escape -- like helping Quinn realize a secondary character is, for some character-oriented reason, always carrying a matchbook and the matches can be used to ignite the gas and blast through the walls and vent the gas.

And then came the questions. Where is this room? What is this gas? Who created this gas? What's it for? Why does Quinn, an experienced slider who is as slippery as an eel, need Mallory to show him the path to survival? The room is in a house?

The gas is a drug designed by a depressive who is dying of a terminal illness and seeking relief. Quinn is depressed over the multiverse being damaged and something this character said to him that made him lose all hope for the future. But what could a guest-character possibly say to instantly crush Quinn's spirit and why would this guest-character have this peculiar gas?

Matt wondered: why would Quinn hallucinate Mallory? Wouldn't he hallucinate Colin? I decided to highlight how Mallory literally knows Quinn inside out -- and the plot came together (as much as it would, anyway) when I remembered "Obsession" and how the return of a psychic from that episode would justify all the absurd plot devices needed to get Mallory and Quinn in the same room together with the gas being the hallucinogen from "The Dream Masters" and combining that with the VR machine of "Virtual Slide" and the cryogenics of "O Brother" and" The Chasm" could justify the resulting apparatus: an afterlife machine that creates ideal dream-state fantasies for the dying.

At the scripting stage, depending on plot devices from previous episodes of SLIDERS to justify "Revolution"'s oddities only seemed to make them odder. Seeing no way to back out, I turned into the swerve by having Mallory bring about Quinn's turnaround through flashbacks to previous episodes. At various points in the script, I found myself unable to keep the surreal tone of the script intact without making it confusing and I decided that confusion wasn't worth it.

I sent the script to Robert Floyd. I didn't think he would actually read it -- but I wanted him to have it as a keepsake -- something to print and keep on a shelf. And I wanted him to have his face at the top of the SLIDERS REBORN page for a few months. To recognize his contributions to the series, to the fans, to Quinn Mallory and to make it clear that he mattered and he counted and he was part of the SLIDERS family. This is fantasy franchise management at its most delusional, I'm sure.

He told me how touched he was at this tribute. I haven't heard from him about it since -- I assume, because this script was an incomprehensible monstrosity that only nerds can understand.

Ultimately, I did something that writers should not do -- I forced REBORN to use plot elements that don't function naturally in the series so that I could include a character who doesn't have an organic function in REBORN -- because I liked the actor who played him and I had to do this for him.

I know that it was just a job to him. One he held for a year over a decade ago. A job he has surpassed and left behind with many achievements since then. But nobody expected him to bring the level of performance that he did to Season 5 -- he could have phoned it in, but he was a professional who did a professional's job -- a detailed, skillful, attentive, wonderful job. People who go the extra mile deserve to be recognized.

But maybe they deserve a better script than I could offer. I don't know. I'm too close to this to tell if it's good, bad or just mediocre at this point. I did what I had to do. Maybe the best thing to do is to make sure the sixth and final script the best it can be.

This is yet another exercise in taking fan fiction way too seriously, I'm sure. I don't know what to think anymore. Informant, you tell me what to think.

Buffy Season 8. Many moons ago for me, but it was my biggest fanfic accomplishment. In some ways, it was my biggest writing accomplishment. Not just because it was an insane idea (to release 22 full episode scripts according to a TV show's airing schedule), but because I got a lot of amazing feedback on it. People were inspired to write because of it. People told me that they were using it as teaching tools. One person stole some of it and claimed it as their own when making a fan film... which is still not cool, but it's part of the wacky adventure.

So I know the crazy fanfic mentality. I know it well. The whole season was about taking the incoherent, poorly crafted monstrosity of season 7 and turning into something better, because I loved the show and hated how they ended it. (this is on top of the writer challenge side of it)

When it was all said and done, I had the wacky idea of binding the whole thing together really nicely in an overly elaborate book that looked like some ancient text, and handing it over to Joss Whedon at a convention. Not because I thought he'd keep it, love it, or even open it. But just because it would be a cool element to add to the story of that project for me.

These things are done out of passion for these projects. We're like geeky characters in a sort of road trip movie, learning something about ourselves on the way to some McGuffin destination.

Ultimately, I didn't give it to Joss. I didn't go to the convention with the book in hand, and hand it over. Not because it wouldn't have been cool, but because in the end, I didn't need to. I was disillusioned by Joss by some point and while I think the Joss of 1998 would have gotten the point of the whole thing, I don't think that the Joss of 2003-Present would have. In the end, what I learned about myself through that project, and the amazing feedback that I got from it turned out to be the end of my road trip movie. There was even an exciting chase in the end, as I took down the person who stole my work and a ton of people around the internet stood behind me.

For you, giving Rob that script was the end of the road trip movie. You're visiting the obscure destination that not many people know about and you're leaving your mark. You're showing respect to someone who influenced you by sharing your work with them. Rob does deserve to get some of the weird fan art that scifi people get all the time. He's a part of this adventure and whether he read it or not, I'm sure that he felt good, knowing that whatever fans think of the show while he was on it, his work was still appreciated.

I once sent a copy of my Christmas novella to a few people, because I think that it's cool to share your work with people whose work you appreciate. I never expected anything from it. But a while later, Dean Koontz replied with a lovely letter, a signed book, and a subscription to his newsletter. I don't know if he ever read the book, but he got it. He appreciated it. And yes, he might have thought that I was a ten year old or something (because in my mind, nobody can take me seriously or think of me as an adult... Youngest child syndrome) but it was cool to have an exchange like that with someone whose name has been on bookshelves around me since I was a little kid.

So no. I don't think it's weird or wrong. I think that a creative exchange and expression of appreciation is cool.

And while I haven't read as much of your work as I'd like (my life has been off the rails crazy lately), I did enjoy what I've read. Not only is it good work, but it's obvious that it comes from a love of the show.

I did have a similar issue of wanting to use characters in season 8 that I shouldn't have been able to use, just because I liked them and wanted to honor that. First, Anya. She was dead and I didn't want to ruin it by bringing her back in some half-assed way. So I put in a quiet moment where Xander is looking through his high school yearbook and discovers that Anya had taped a picture of herself in there. It was a bittersweet moment.

And then Cordelia. I hated what they'd done to her on Angel. I always thought she worked better on Buffy. I wanted to send her out properly. So I had this episode where she came into town and interacted with the group in different ways, for different reasons. In the end, it was revealed that she was a ghost, coming to say goodbye to her friends before she moved on.
Imagine how surprised I was when a while after I put the script online (a longer while after I wrote it), Angel's 100th episode aired. Cordelia came out of her coma to interact with friends, only to have it be revealed that she was a ghost, coming back to say her goodbyes before she moved on. smile

Thanks, I needed that. Going with the roadtrip metaphor -- I'd say that Rob was a seriously distant detour from the planned route for SLIDERS REBORN.

I didn't go to these lengths to accommodate Charlie O'Connell. And I won't, partially because it was exhausting enough to do this for Rob. Also, I feel no debt to Charlie -- he was in 21 episodes of SLIDERS: 18 of Season 4, a guest-star in "As Time Goes By" and "Dragonslide" -- and he played Jerry O'Connell's corpse in "The Young and the Relentless," the only role for which he was in any way qualified or capable. I didn't owe him any extra effort.

Mallory was extremely out of my way, but to drive past the exit to the long and winding road towards him on the grounds that it was too far would have been saying Rob wasn't worth the trouble and I couldn't do that.

I suppose that in the grand scheme of REBORN, "Revolution" is a small interlude and hopefully, it's good, but if it isn't, that shouldn't interfere with the finale being good.

So, something ridiculous has happened.

Back in 2007 - 2009, I was really into LONELYGIRL15, a fictional young-adult series told through a teenaged girl, Bree, vlogging in her bedroom, relating her life.

Bree vlogged about her friendship with a boy named Daniel, struggles with adolescence, troubles at school, her religion (called the Hymn of One), her parents' oddly controlling and inconsistent behaviour, the strange tests her parents and the Elders of her religion put her through, the peculiar injections, the preparations for a mysterious occult ritual called the Ceremony, the murder of her father, the desperate escape that sent Daniel and Bree into homelessness before they encountered a wealthy orphan named Jonas, and their eventual realization that the Hymn of One, the Order, had was a corporate entity of unmatched wealth and power that had infiltrated every level of American society and wanted to drain Bree of all her blood for some twisted death rite.

It was a very strong series for the first two seasons and it took some big risks. The series was dependent on the original writer, Mesh Flinders, putting his personal problems into Bree, his avatar. The producer, Miles Beckett, helped Mesh turn his scripts into vlogs in bedrooms -- and later, vlogs by teen fugitives delving deeper into the concept of the Order, this mysterious and powerful cult.

This became a major problem when Mesh Flinders lost interest in the teen fugitive format and how very, very distant the show had become from slice of life stories from a teen girl in her bedroom. The show also lost the actress who played Bree and the character was killed off.

While the supporting cast was strong enough to carry the show, the remaining writers began focusing stories exclusively on the Order -- a ridiculously overpowered supervillain organization that the writers and producers didn't have the creativity or budget to render onscreen or with any consistent means or goals. In the background as a plot device to create insane situations, the Order was great. Foregrounded, it was stupid. The videos became riddled with confusing plots, massive continuity errors, anti-climactic arcs and LONELYGIRL15 became more convoluted than THE X-FILES. It was largely abandoned by its fans, unable to find continued advertising sponsorship, and it ended on a cliffhanger.

As I am wont to do, I decided to come up with a fan fiction sequel, except I used the format of LiveJournal blog entries instead of vlogs. Also, my story was not ongoing: all the entries would be completed, backdated, then released all at once -- and there would be a conclusive finale to the story. However, my writing was more along the lines of the slice of life material and I only understood the Order continuity well enough to know it couldn't be understood.

I had a method of putting the Order back in the background where it belonged and also a method to explain why this super cult with its own private army couldn't track down a bunch of teenagers who posted their location on YouTube -- but I needed someone more familiar with the intricate continuity to help me match my material to previous stories.

There was a producer on LONELYGIRL15, Jenni Powell, whom I felt would be the ideal person to help plot this project, especially since she'd helped a bunch of other fans with fanfic and done her own fanfic vlog series spoofing LG15. She was often in the LG15 chat room and I had a lot of respect for her views. She had very insightful thoughts on LG15's convoluted myth-arc and how the characters were the best aspect of the show. She understood how to present complexity in a clear, compact form. She knew how to build on top of a convoluted mythos without falling into the cracks and holes of a bad foundation. She was the best choice possible to lead LONELYGIRL15 forward (although I imagined I would do bulk of the writing and she could help me edit my plot and match the continuity).

In 2009, after the show was clearly not returning, I approached Jenni and asked for her consultation and input on my LiveJournal project to do a sequel and conclusion. Jenni replied bluntly: she didn't see any point to working on any LG15 material as the show had fallen apart and was just a miserable property best left alone, she didn't think LG15 ought to have any further time or effort or creativity and that she just didn't think it was worth the work.

Jenni went on to work on other web shows: THE GUILD, THE LIZZIE BENNET DIARIES, EMMA APPROVED, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PETER AND WENDY as a director and executive producer. I found other collaborators. One guy helped me with my plot structure. Another lady helped me reconcile my plot to the onscreen continuity. I wrote all the LiveJournal entries with their notes in mind.

We released LONELYJOURNAL15 to the fanbase in late 2009 and got a uniformly positive response with numerous fans declaring that it was canon because it made them happy. LJ15 gave any fans who read it closure. I still get fan mail on it now and then. Jenni, despite declining involvement, was really sweet about my writing and even gave me permission to integrate her material from her previous fanfic projects in LONELYJOURNAL15.

Cut to the present: LONELYGIRL15 has been revived again as an ongoing series. The series picks up eight years after the cliffhanger ending, picking up on all the previous continuity. The actress who played the original lead character has been re-hired to reprise her role. The rights to the series were purchased by a web videocompany, Discourse Productions -- it's Jenni Powell's company. Jenni Powell is the showrunner for this revival of LONELYGIRL15.

Originally, my material was considered by fans who read it to be canonical by default in that LG15's creators had abandoned the project on a cliffhanger and for a follow-up, I was the only game in town and the response was universally positive. Now, LONELYJOURNAL15 is clearly apocryphal fan fiction. A project to be put aside in favour of the true, official, canonical LONELYGIRL15 revival -- a revival led by the very person I sought out to produce new LONELYGIRL15 material in the first place.

Well. Anyway. I just want it on record somewhere that I considered this person to be the absolute best choice to manage a new incarnation of LONELYGIRL15 long before she got the job. While I am sad to be rendered apocryphal, solemn contemplation leads me to conclude that I am happy because what I wanted has come to pass. LONELYGIRL15 has returned with Jenni writing the series.

It does speak to a certain laxness of forward motion in my own life, however, that while I went from writing fanfic for LONELYGIRL15 to writing fanfic for SLIDERS, Jenni did her own material, produced her own shows, built experience and a reputation and a network and then returned to LG15 not as a fan, but as LG15's lead creator.

Matt once remarked that he found SLIDERS REBORN both heartening and depressing in that while he understood that REBORN makes me happy, he felt I should really be writing original work. Alright. After "Regenesis," it'll be onto writing about law students and their soap opera lives and homeless teen girl detectives. You can tell I'm following market research here.

Original work can be more depressing. There is nothing to build upon, so you have to gain a following of your own, which is hard. People who read your work could love it, but getting it in front of them in the first place is frustrating.

I wish you luck though. If I can be of any help, let me know.

And for what it's worth, I still consider my Buffy season 8 to be canon, while the official comic books aren't . They just suck and I refuse to accept them. smile

I actually think original work would be less stressful.

The absurd and ridiculous truth is that fans of LONELYGIRL15 and SLIDERS take/took my work really seriously, more seriously than any other fanbase for their own fan fiction. My fan fiction is referred to as canonical (at least until an official revival is released), my scripts get promoted in the podcasts and reviewed as actual episodes of the TV show, my readers write TV Tropes pages for my work -- it's astonishing.

It also not exactly a reflection on me. It's 90 per cent circumstance. I was/am the only game in town because both serieses ended in a way where I could step in and play what I call fantasy franchise management -- where I produce material that creates the illusion of being official.

Tom and Cory remarked, when reviewing "Slide Effects" for SLIDERS REWATCH: "This is SLIDERS. This is what it's supposed to be." It's not true. SLIDERS should be a TV show with the actors playing their roles. My scripts being able to create that in the mind is a magic trick achieved due to the other 10 per cent -- which would be what I jokingly refer to as my talent -- a talent for creating prose and print pastiches of actors' performances.

It's a lot of weight to put on work that, to be honest, I do over lunchbreaks and on weekends. There's a lot of stress and anxiety from writing for pre-existing properties. It's no big deal if Laurie's Dean/Castiel romance novel isn't a solidly professional piece of work whereas SLIDERS REBORN not meeting a professional standard would be a really painful failure -- because if it can't create the illusion of canonicity for the duration of reading it, the project is a waste of time.

On March 20, 2015, two days before the twentieth anniversary, I needed to revise the first REBORN script but a noisy party downstairs made it impossible to work. (Work. Ha!) So I rented a hotel room and didn't come out for 18 hours and posting REBORN on March 22 was just terrifying. It was also really scary when posting LONELYJOURNAL15 because it executed a grand retcon on the mythos akin to THE X-FILES saying that there is no alien conspiracy -- and I was relieved when my debunking of the LONELYGIRL15 myth-arc was well received.

A clean slate would probably be good for me.

I get that stress. During my run with Buffy season 8, I had people writing in to tell me that I had inspired them to become a writer. I had college professors bringing my work into their lessons. I had fanfic based on my fanfic. People were copying my style (because back then, script format wasn't nearly as common as it is today). It felt like a beast, and there were times when I was trying to maintain that TV-like schedule and polishing scripts right up to the last second. It was pretty intense, but fun at the same time.

I guess both have different benefits and downsides. Obviously, your own work with your own characters is exciting. It's like watching your kids grow up and become people that you never expected them to be. They surprise you, disappoint you and make you proud in ways that fanfic can't really do. They're yours. And there aren't a lot of people who can say "she would never do that!" when you write something for a character. You have instant feedback with fanfic, which can be good or bad, I suppose.

But the challenges of original work are still there. You can't rely on a pre-built world. You have to make people feel like they're in this place that they've never seen. You have to make these characters come to life without actor voices behind them. You have to control every element. There's no wikipedia page for you to use for continuity. And no matter how much work you put into it, you probably won't get much of a response, at least at first.

It's give and take, whatever you're writing. smile

ME: "Hmm. The new SLIDERS DVD release would truly be complete if they would put SLIDERS REBORN on it in comic book form and hired Dennis Calero to draw it. I feel he could really sell the sequence of the breeder parasites and the dragon and the rockstar vampires descending upon the merged San Francisco that I'm currently scripting."

[NOTE: Calero drew the second half of the NARCOTICA comic.]

MATT: "Why don't YOU hire Dennis Calero to draw it?"

ME: "Because I don't want to get sued. And he doesn't want to get sued. I'd have to pay him and he'd be drawing a profit from an unlicensed project."

MATT: "You live in Canada."

ME: "I drive by the NBCUniversal Canada office every morning. And look at what happened to the Star Trek fan films. Honestly, the PDF format is best for staying prominent but without any legal entanglements. The prominence of REBORN is fundamentally absurd, of course."

MATT: "Well, a private commission? Pay him to draw the best scene from each episode. It's you creating a unique piece of art for yourself. How cool would it be to get someone to professionally draw something for you?"

ME: "To me, the *real* coolness is Tom and Cory reading out passages of my scripts in their podcast and saying stuff like, 'This is SLIDERS, this is how it's supposed to be.' The real coolness is that TV Tropes page that guy made for my fan fiction. The real coolness is you making a REBORN section on your site. Honestly, typing about it right now -- if you were here in person, I would hug you and cry for a few minutes."

MATT: "Hahaha! Well, thank you, brother. I would awkwardly push you away and hand you your teddy bear."

So, I met this engineering student, Jenny, last week while standing in line for a play and I gave her my number and told her I was interested in a sexless friendship and this is from our most recent round of texting:

JENNY: "I wrote fanfiction at some point, and I like writing essays for classes. Back when Tumblr was still a big part of my life a few years ago, some people organised an event for people who were into CABIN PRESSURE. We got a prompt every day and we had to create fanfiction or some form of fanart. I wrote a few short stories."

ME: "Really! My fanfic magnum opus is at www.earthprime.com/reborn"

JENNY: "I have never heard of Sliders but I'm impressed by your dedication."

ME: "Sliders was a wonderful show about a boy genius and four friends who find the gateway to parallel Earths, but on his first adventure, they lose their way back home. By the finale, the boy genius had been erased from reality, the soulful ingénue had been sent to a rape camp, the wise professor had been shot and blown up after getting his brain sucked out, and the token black guy was a traumatized wreck."

JENNY: "Sliders sounds absolutely horrifying thank you for giving enough of it away that I know I should stay far far away from it oh my Jesus."

ME: "The first two seasons of Sliders are very good: a mind-expanding, life-affirming limitless adventure through alternate histories."

JENNY: "Oh man. What kind of impact did this show have on you to make you want to devote so much time writing such an extensive fanfic and wax lyric about it like this?"

ME: "The first two seasons of Sliders helped correct the poor judgement my parents infused in me. They taught me rote obedience, unquestioning fealty and that if I wasn't instantly proficient at something, it meant I wasn't talented. The lead character, Quinn Mallory, represents how all problems can be solved with knowledge, experimentation and the willingness to fail repeatedly."

JENNY: "I don't know that your parents were wrong about talent -- not becoming proficient at a new skill very quickly does seem to indicate a lack of talent."

ME: "My first driving lesson, I was a bit nervous and had trouble with the pedals, Dad declared I would and should never drive and I think back on all those years I spent not learning how to drive when it turned out I just needed a few more lessons and now I vow revenge."

JENNY: "Right, and that's a good way to view ability, but that's not talent. That's just hard work and determination. Talent is inherent to a person."

ME: "My definition of talent doesn't require that it be innate."

I think most people think of talent as something you're born with, and skill as something you learn.

But you can learn to hone your talent. I don't think that you're always going to be great with your talent without building it. Like a muscle, talent has to be worked in order to grow. Having muscle doesn't mean that it will be easy to build big, intimidating muscle mass.

To be honest, I thought the big joke here was how I've known this woman for less than a week and SLIDERS is already a primary concern.

Everyone has their interests, I guess. I have friends with all sorts of interests that not everyone gets. It keeps the Facebook feed interesting.

So, awhile back, my Windows laptop broke. I couldn't charge it anymore, the repair shop said the charging port couldn't be repaired and I decided to buy a Surface 3. And it's good.

I bought the base model with a mere 2GB of RAM, but it's super-speedy for my word processing and spreadsheets and the 64GB of storage is easily augmented with a 128GB microSD.

Unlike my previous Windows laptop, the Surface 3 isn't full of irksome OS glitches. The screen rotates correctly, the keyboard and mouse don't engage in random input, the Windows Store doesn't crash, the keyboard doesn't abruptly disconnect and there's a proper USB port. And the speakers are booming.

However, while the OS is fine and the desktop apps run fine, the touch apps can occasionally be a little buggy -- a comic book reader where the pages don't rotate, a video player where the top menu bar won't fade away, an ebook reader that can't be set as the default ebook app -- and these are the only ones worth a damn. And while desktop apps are battery efficient, touch apps aren't.

It was definitely too early to give up on my tablet except I was so optimistic about the Surface 3 that I gave my mother my iPad Mini 2 and couldn't bear to ask for it back. So, I spent $75 on a used Samsung Tab 3 10.1 -- which, despite being three years old, isn't significantly less than most 10 inch Android tablets on the market. Android tablet development has really come to a dead stop in recent years. I figured it'd be a cheap backup when the Surface 3's battery runs low or when touch apps are acting up.

But the Tab 3 -- I had a similar tablet back in 2013, and this comparable tablet looks just ghastly to me. The 1200x800 pixel screen looks hideous. All text looks jagged and pixelated. And the comic book reader! All the pages look like they've been printed on a low-res printer. Every line and letter looks patchy and scratchy.

I eventually managed to find a decent image-smoothing filter. But I wondered -- how did I ever put up with this three years ago? Did I just not notice or have anything to compare it to until now? I looked at my mother's old 7-inch tablet with an even lower 1024 x 768 tablet and it looked even worse than my Tab 3.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the screen protectors I used. They're anti-glare, but in reducing reflections, they would blur the screen image a little. Is it possible that they smoothed out the roughness of these lower-res screens and, because my protectors are still in the mail, I'm seeing what was underneath before?

I dunno. The Tab 3's fine as an occasional and very cheap backup to my Surface 3. But it's kind of horrifying that this clearly outdated tablet with its hideous screen has pretty much the same resolution as most tablets on the market. No wonder the tablet market's dying out; Google's tablet OS is just the phone OS stretched to fill a larger screen and the hardware's fallen into a rut.

I was writing a scene in the final SLIDERS REBORN script and I wanted to have a moment where the enemy contemptuously describes the reality of SLIDERS REBORN as fan fiction -- something worthless and forgettable and not real -- in order to justify his wish to destroy and replace it. I wanted to put this in because Matt has occasionally and very correctly dismissed SLIDERS REBORN as non-canonical fanfic ("Wade is dead, god damn it" / "You're worried about becoming apocryphal? You already are.") and I wanted to address that to some degree by having a character say it.

"This reality you're fighting so hard to defend -- it's not real. It's a sham and a fraud, you must know that by now. You've seen rock star vampires and radioactive slugs, for God's sake. You weren't reborn; you're living in a diseased and dying existence and this world, your friends, your daughter, your mother, your home -- it's just the patient's last muscle spasm. The final burst of neurons firing through the synapses before the brain shuts off. The show's over and it's time you faced the truth -- everything around you is just a mediocre fanfic to make yourself feel better."

Naturally, every 3 sentences or so are interspersed with Quinn getting punched in the face. But Matt HATES lampshades! He calls them LAMEshades. (He never has, but I'm sure he does.) But what does Informant think!? :-D

Hey, anything can work if it is done properly. The problem arises when laziness is disguised as cuteness.

So, is that doing it properly?

I'll have to see it in context to be certain one way or the other, but I don't see any problem with what you posted.

I remember in the series finale of the Cosby Show, Cliff and Claire were dancing with each other. As they danced, they became Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad, and just danced off of the set for the last time. It broke the fourth wall that was no longer needed because the show was over. Without words, it made the audience feel like a part of the production in a way. Everyone became a part of the goodbye in that last moment when the Huxtables ceased to exist.

This is your finale. You're allowed to tip your hat to the audience that has been following you. I can't say how well it works until I see it in context and know how the drama and emotional flow are impacted by that decision, but it isn't a violation of what you're trying to accomplish in and of itself.

Sorry for my lack of actual input. It's just really hard to speak to your specific example without the full context, so my words are pretty useless.

And also, how sad is it that I will probably never be able to revisit the Huxtables again? Damn.

Slider_Quinn21 once pondered:

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I mean think about all the shows and movies you consider yourself a fan of.  Now how many are you willing to write fanfic for?  How many are you willing to talk about on a daily basis?  And how many would you be willing to say, "I'm putting my life on hold to devote to this?"

As an egomaniac, I assumed he was talking about ME. But I've taken a hard look at myself and the truth is I think about SLIDERS REBORN far more than I actually work on it. If I had obsessed over it to an unhealthy degree, I would probably have been done by last Christmas.

The truth is that I've regularly blown off working on SLIDERS REBORN. I've blown it off because my niece started talking about her dead dad and I didn't feel I could end that conversation.  Because there was a two week abstract theatre film festival. Because I needed to focus on my health for a bit. Because my niece needed to move. Because I had actual professional obligations.

I've tried to find an example in my life where I decided writing REBORN was more important than something else -- the only thing I can think of is a SUPERNATURAL convention that my niece wanted me go to with her, a convention I declined to attend because I was looking up San Francisco landmarks to put in the third script. "How can you blow off the event of the century to write fanfic?" Laurie exclaimed. "That's not healthy!" I replied, "How come it's healthy to set aside time for YOUR show but not mine?" I like SUPERNATURAL well-enough, but not more than I like SLIDERS.

This is probably SLIDERS REBORN slipped in its schedule. The original plan was for three feature-length scripts, a short prequel and a novella to be out and done by August 2015. In 2015, I was able to complete two feature length scripts, the prequel and the novella; in 2016, I have completed one 46-page script and will likely finish the final screenplay. It's impossible to treat this like a job; everything else will always come first, SLIDERS REBORN is like my equivalent of other people playing videogames. I will never put my life on hold for SLIDERS.

I'm as shocked as anyone to discover that.