Sliders BBoard

Welcome back.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Sliders
  •  » So did Quinn and Colin die in Season 5?

#1 2012-09-20 12:07 pm

Stairway Man
Website

So did Quinn and Colin die in Season 5?

I just got started on season 5, finished the first 4. Now Im on the 2nd ep of season 5. Im a bit confused. So Robert Floyd
who is Quinn from another dimension gained Quinn's memory from an experiment that trapped Quinn's dna from their last slide . But that doesn't mean he is our Quinn right? He became 2 people? So does that also mean Quinn is gone, but only his remnants, dna, and memory remain in the other Quinn?

So did Quinn's soul die or did he die? And they said colin went in 1000 pieces. So are they both dead or gone? Im a little confused. Either way this is so messed up on so many levels. Sci fi should have done whatever they could to keep Jerry on board. No wonder I stopped watching it. I don't even remember any of these episodes so it's like Im watching a whole new season of Sliders. Unfortunately they are way over the top and prodigiously bizarre.

On a 2nd note, I thought that the new Quinn looked like a young kid at first. He is 7 years older than jerry in real life. He was 33 in season 5 and looked just as young as Jerry at age 23-24.

Last edited by Stairway Man (2012-09-20 12:25 pm)

#2 2012-09-20 5:15 pm

Grizzlor
Website

Re: So did Quinn and Colin die in Season 5?

Colin became unstuck, while Quinn was merged with Mallory.  Trust me, they made out better than Arturo (made invalid then blown up) or Wade (raped then turned into a pickle).

#3 2012-09-20 6:11 pm

ireactions

I guess the idea behind the merging and Colin becoming unstuck was to keep the characters alive. They didn't want to kill off the star of the show, they wanted to remove him in a way that would allow Jerry to easily return at some point.

But why? Given how bad contract negotiations got and how unyielding each side was, they must have -- must have -- known that Jerry wasn't ever coming back. Was it because they couldn't imagine how they could kill Quinn offscreen? Couldn't think of what to do other than make it seem like it was temporary, even though it wasn't? Or was it the first instinct that came to mind, overriding reason and sanity? Season 5 does not seem like it's the product of carefully considered decision, after all.

What's weirder, to me, is that they went to all this trouble to keep Quinn's character in the series, with Robert Floyd hired because of his amazing ability to mimic Jerry's voice, facial expressions, body language -- and then they dropped the plot completely. I wonder -- was this because they were relying on freelance scripts and they were too lazy to rewrite them to add Quinn into the stories, and used a half-assed explanation in "New Gods For Old" to get rid of Quinn? Or was it just too troublesome a concept to keep working into every script so they decided not to bother?

The hearsay about Floyd asking them to delete Quinn sounds like misinterpreted interview clips to me. Floyd was hired to mimic Jerry, and given his career and status, I doubt he could have been in a position to take a job and then refuse to do it. He might have been happy not to have to, but he wouldn't have been responsible for that decision.

Why didn't they use Robert Floyd's Jerry impression to record Quinn saying, "Go! Go!" in "The Unstuck Man"? Seems like someone forgot to book Floyd for a recording session and then just couldn't be bothered to do it later.

#4 2012-09-20 11:01 pm

sliders5125

Robert Floyd is supposed to be like a fraternal twin(double) he has a different Mom as seen in the quick clip in episode #2 of his parents on the porch, so our Quinn is inside of him, but he has the dominate personality, so only occasionally up till, New Gods For Old will he be present(if I'm not mistaken our Quinn's personality only comes through in Unstuck Man, Applied Physics(Actually this is the only one he gets more than 30 seconds of screen time), New Gods For Old, and Eye Of the Storm)(He gets a mention in The Seer)....with Colin Dr.Geiger says one thing the my eyes showed another Geiger says he's still out their, yet I watched him blow up into a million dots(So I say he's dead, to bad I actually liked him).

On the why they went through the trouble to get a guy that looks like Jerry and sounds like Jerry only to write Quinn out of the show 4 episodes later, I have no idea, there are plenty of other directions they could of went, they could of paid Jerry's brother to do a cameo and just said at the beginning of the episode that they found the Kromagg weapon on Kromagg Prime and that Quinn couldn't face saying goodbye, Rembrandt has the timer now and both he and Maggie are going to take this weapon to yet another earth where they can meet up with someone that can tell them a better way to stop the Maggs for good.

Rembrandt could wake up in the Kromagg ship and escape with Maggie and a new cast to boot...Quinn found a way to save Wade and get the weapon and they were going to use the tracking devise to follow Quinn through the wormholes until he got everything together and when he did he would stop and waite for them to catch up, this could be fun because Rembrandt and Maggie would have to deal with the consequences of Quinn meddling in the affairs of that world.

...On the change of Floyd not wanting to mimic Quinn I figure that has to be the reason, why go through the trouble of setting it up to kill the idea 4 episodes into a 18 episode season, I mean why did you need these new characters at all, it made very little since to have them hanging out after New Gods For Old, they were not defending their earth, yeah Rembrandts a nice guy, but he was also evil at the same time, Quinn accidently took Rembrandt on a cool adventure to a world where Elvis was alive, Rembrandt took Mallory/Dianna on an adventure that is filled with death and loneliness just because he didn't have any idea how the timer worked and was looking for a weapon to genocide the Kromagg race(something that slipped Rembrandts mind when he gave the new guys a minute to decide if they would slide with him.

#5 2012-09-21 7:19 am

ireactions

Over the past year, I've come up with various ways the show could have kept going. Hiring Zoe McLellan to replace Jerry as the lead actor on the show either as Logan or a double of Logan seems to be the simplest, most straightforward option. Maybe do the merging but with Logan instead of Robert Floyd.

I also like the idea of setting the series about 10 years after Season 4. A bunch of college students collect urban myths about interdimensional travel, find artifacts from alternate histories, and eventually track down a slider, thinking it's Quinn. But instead, they find Rembrandt and the timer. They steal it and fix it. Rembrandt chases after them and accidentally slides with them and is now forced to help these kids learn how to survive sliding. All the unfinished plots -- just have Rembrandt say it was a long time ago, he survived and his enemies didn't.

But I think hiring Zoe to replace Jerry would have been the simplest option.

#6 2012-09-22 4:17 am

Stairway Man
Website

After watching all of season 5, I have come to respect the ending of the show and the whole last season a lot more. About 10 years ago when I bought all the episodes on video tape for my vcr, I think i actually skipped all the way to the last episode without watching the whole season. I must say season 5 was still by far the worst, but I respect the actors and everyone trying to make it work. Once Jerry was gone, there wasn't a whole lot they could have done. After all, they didn't completely kill off Quinn and Colin. Back 10 years ago I thought Rembrint died for sure. But Im actually thankful that I watched it again to gain understanding. He didn't officially die, we don't really know what happened. The way they set it up, you could even bring all the characters back and keep going if they wanted. Unfortunately they won't but I truly wish they would. Im very happy I watched it all over again.

#7 2012-09-22 8:22 pm

ireactions

I recently rewatched the latter half of the fifth season. I was writing reviews for EarthPrime.com for six episodes, but I wanted the full context. I would have to say that I was deeply unhappy to have watched it and I was relieved that a new series of DOCTOR WHO was coming soon to take the bad feeling away. My sentiment was basically what John Rhys-Davies said when he heard SLIDERS had been renewed for Season 4: "Oh God, let this series die in peace."

They could have done anything with this premise. Yes, the loss of the leading man was a problem. Yes, the budget was as low as the union would let the studio and the Sci-Fi Channel get away with. Yes, there was a sea of unresolved plots now impossible to address without the lead character. But the core concept of parallel universes was sound and they could easily have revitalized the series and treated Season 5 as a chance to do something bold and innovative and new. They could have hired Zoe McLellan to replace Jerry as Quinn Mallory. They could have set the series five years later and focused on Rembrandt at a later point in his life where he might end up sliding again. They could have let Robert Floyd play Quinn Mallory after he'd been hired to play Quinn Mallory. They could have done "The Great Work" and "Requiem" properly instead of rewriting both into stupidity. They could have done their originally planned series finale.

Instead, they did what was easy, what was lazy and what was petty. Season 5 is so limp and pathetic. "The Great Work" and "Please Press One" and "A Thousand Deaths" and "Heavy Metal" and "To Catch a Slider" are such unbelievably *stupid* stories where the heroes are useless morons who seem to win because the villains are even dumber. "Requiem" is a decent script reworked into something incredibly boring. "Eye of the Storm," the most expensive episode of the season, is still largely confined to the Chandler and wastes all the money on pointless energy effects and stock footage of Jerry O'Connell that's so blurry you can barely make it out. "The Seer" drips with contempt for the fans and the show itself.

It's pretty sad when time spent visiting the SLFIC Archive ( http://web.archive.org/web/200812220131 … rames.html ) is more rewarding, stimulating and thought-provoking than actually watching the series that all the fanfic is based on. Also note how there are a few Season 4 stories but zero Season 5 fan works. Can't imagine why.

#8 2012-11-01 1:30 pm

KerrAvon

At least they treated the mallorys with more respect and dignity than they did Wade and Auturo...just my two cents worth.

#9 2012-11-01 4:08 pm

ireactions

KerrAvon wrote:

At least they treated the mallorys with more respect and dignity than they did Wade and Auturo...just my two cents worth.

... let's review. "The Unstuck Man" opens with the sliders embroiled in a gunfight, with Quinn played by stunt double James Bamford and voiced by whoever pulled the short straw in the ADR suite that night. Then Quinn disappears in mid-slide. Except when Rembrandt and Maggie confront Robert Floyd, Robert Floyd shows a flash of Quinn's personality, mimicking Jerry's voice precisely. Later, in Dr. Geiger's lab, Robert Floyd assumes Quinn's persona again -- he doesn't do the voice this time, but his expression takes on a scientific yet impassioned fascination with Dr. Geiger's lab and he regards Geiger with horror and yet, a flicker of respect for a fellow scientist. Despite this episode being a disaster in many ways with its listless plotting and dull direction, Floyd's performance is a triumph and shows a stronger grasp of Quinn than Jerry for the last season and a half.

What's especially fascinating to me is how Floyd's performance as Quinn is clearly not just an attempt to mimic Jerry (although Floyd's gift for voice impersonations is impressive and you'd think the show would have made more use of Floyd's skills for Mallory's false identities and disguises). Floyd said that he'd studied Quinn and Jerry very thoroughly, and in an incredibly *brief* scene, Floyd captures Quinn's passion for scientific knowledge and sharp, lightning-fast mind. Floyd just really *gets* Quinn in a way Jerry so singularly doesn't.

And then "Applied Physics" keeps going by forcing Mallory to experience Quinn's emotions. It's so heartfelt. "I was using the travel agency and these VISIONS started again. Nightmares. I saw some place -- my home -- being overrun by these THINGS. My mother was taken away -- they were torturing YOU -- and this thing made it REAL. I saw a man -- a friend. Shot dead in front of me. I don't know who he was but he meant so much to me I can't stop hurting."

And then... nothing. Quinn's personality doesn't surface in "Strangers and Comrades," doesn't show up once in "Great Work" and "New Gods for Old," *without* featuring Quinn in Mallory, simply writes off Quinn's personality as lost. In fact, "New Gods for Old" even has Rembrandt and Maggie decide to *abandon* Mallory despite their wish to retrieve Quinn.

For the rest of the season, Quinn is barely mentioned and rescuing him goes largely undiscussed. The fact that Quinn, the defacto leader of the group and the only remaining person Rembrandt started sliding with , is gone -- it never seems to affect Rembrandt in the slightest. Maggie seems to forget him too.

So, despite the show having an actor to play Quinn and a method of keeping him in the show, Quinn was completely dismissed and written off as a going concern. This is respect, is it? This is treating the character with concern and dignity? Acting like losing him is no big deal, ignoring every chance to continue using him and having everyone stop caring that he's gone?

And Colin. Once again, we have a character who is experiencing a horrific fate; being unstuck across universes. Neither Rembrandt nor Maggie are in any way affected by his absence; they never grieve for him, they make no attempt to find him, they seem to forget him.

• Index
  •  » Sliders
  •  » So did Quinn and Colin die in Season 5?

Board footer