Sliders BBoard

Welcome back.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-13 12:12 am

Slidersfreak
Website

Question about The Exodus

I just re-watched The Exodus (I'm a glutton for pain), and I still don't buy that they really found Earth Prime. we find out in season 2, I believe, that Mrs. Mallory's gardener fixed the squeaky gate. So, when Quinn opens the gate and it squeaks, that tells me that this is not Earth Prime. Yes, it is conceivable that the gate could start squeaking again, but it's a stretch. Also, Mrs. Mallory is wearing a necklace that Quinn had hidden under his mattress to give to her at a later point in time. Upon seeing this, Quinn easily believes that he is home. He then slides back to Maggie's world and announces that he found Earth Prime. I know these guys have been sliding for a long time and are all very anxious to get home, but why get everyone excited that they will be going home? There is far from sufficient evidence that he really found Earth Prime. (Which also goes into the theory that when he and Magge land on Earth Prime in Genesis, Maggie has no problems breathing).

#2 2007-11-13 1:56 am

crouteru

Re: Question about The Exodus

The problem I see is that their home Earth could have potentially changed so much in the years since they left that they might not want to believe it's home. What if there was a nuclear holocaust since they left?, or a worldwide disease epidemic that wiped out human civilization?

This is exactly what compelled them to keep sliding in 'Into The Mystic'. Quinn didn't consider that the squeeking gate could have been fixed. Then we have the situation in 'Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome' where they assume it's home because things seem so similar to when they left.

The unfortunate truth is that they probably couldn't find their home based on simple observations of a parallel world. Quinn should have known this by 'The Exodus'. This could potentially mean that the Earth Prime on 'The Exodus' was in fact not home, and therefore the Kromagg invasion of said Earth in 'Genesis' had nothing to do with our sliders true home (something I believe the folks at EP.com have made unofficially canon).

#3 2007-11-13 8:46 am

TemporalFlux
Quantum Mechanic
Website

crouteru wrote:

The unfortunate truth is that they probably couldn't find their home based on simple observations of a parallel world. Quinn should have known this by 'The Exodus'. This could potentially mean that the Earth Prime on 'The Exodus' was in fact not home, and therefore the Kromagg invasion of said Earth in 'Genesis' had nothing to do with our sliders true home (something I believe the folks at EP.com have made unofficially canon).

Yep.  I first broke the story back in 1998 after talking about this with season four producer Marc Scott Zicree; the original intent was that the whole plot from "Genesis" was a Kromagg trick to get Quinn's help.  Nothing was ever really done on the series to contradict the spirit of that story plan; we just never got the pay-off.

Zicree didn't state whether or not it was really Earth Prime in "Genesis" (i.e. the world first seen in "Exodus"); after all, the abandoned conspiracy arc only went through the Sliders finding Kromagg Prime in a season four cliffhanger.  However, it's pretty safe to say we would have found out that wasn't Earth Prime had the story arc continued on its original track.  Zicree had alot of respect for what had been done originally on Sliders; Zicree was only trying to throw in an epic story to put Sliders on the map (something the "powers that were" ultimately didn't let him do).

And just to note it, this thread has one possible explanation for why Maggie couldn't breathe.

Sliders - The Dimension of Continuity
Same Internet; Different Information.

#4 2007-11-13 11:32 pm

Slidersfreak
Website

Hmm, that unfinished story arc sounds pretty interesting. It's a shame that Sliders was never able to get past its incompetent production team from seasons 3 through 5.

Every time I hear Quinn say "I will get all of us home. I promise." I shudder. The Prof gets stuck on PTSS world (if you are in that camp), Wade gets her head cut off, Quinn gets merged with Mallory, and Rembrandt slides back to what he thinks is home in order to stop the Kromaggs.
No one makes it home, except maybe for Remmy.  It's kind of a depressing outcome to the series.

#5 2007-11-14 11:25 pm

Slidersfreak
Website

TemporalFlux wrote:

Zicree didn't state whether or not it was really Earth Prime in "Genesis" (i.e. the world first seen in "Exodus"); after all, the abandoned conspiracy arc only went through the Sliders finding Kromagg Prime in a season four cliffhanger.  However, it's pretty safe to say we would have found out that wasn't Earth Prime had the story arc continued on its original track.

I just watched "Genesis" via Netflix, and I must say that I am very glad that Earth Prime was not Earth Prime. I never believed for one minute the garbage that Quinn's parents were Sliders and that he was from a parallel Earth. I mean, come on, Peck!!
That also brings into question the character of Colin. If Quinn's "real" parents had won the war against the Kromaggs and returned for Quinn, why would they not have returned for Colin? When Quinn, Maggie, and Remmy slide to Colin's earth's coordinates, he should not be there because his parents would have returned for him.
Secondly, since the plot from "Genesis" was just a Kromagg mind trick, what purpose did Colin serve? Obviously, the maggs included Colin in the memory chip for a reason. If so, what was Colin's purpose? Was he some sort of Kromagg spy that was going to eventually turn on the Sliders?
Very interesting material here....

#6 2007-11-15 12:25 am

TemporalFlux
Quantum Mechanic
Website

Slidersfreak wrote:

Secondly, since the plot from "Genesis" was just a Kromagg mind trick, what purpose did Colin serve? Obviously, the maggs included Colin in the memory chip for a reason. If so, what was Colin's purpose? Was he some sort of Kromagg spy that was going to eventually turn on the Sliders?
Very interesting material here....

Colin was originally meant to be there to make sure Quinn didn't close the door to Kromagg Prime once Quinn opened it; Rembrandt was also programmed as the back-up (which is why this "kill Quinn" bit came up in "Slidecage" out of nowhere - Kolitar screwed things up by activating it early).  Colin was also programmed, but he wasn't supposed to be "real".  For all intents and purposes, Colin was Bizarro Quinn - an imperfect clone created by the Kromaggs in an attempt to crack the Kromagg Prime Mallory information.  Obviously, the clone didn't work very well; they needed a real Quinn Mallory who didn't have a corrupted brain in order to pull it off.

The dot in Colin's possession contained the piece of the puzzle the Kromaggs had on their own; the dot in Quinn's possession contained the Mallory encoded key the Kromaggs couldn't activate along with the planted brothers story and information on how to find Colin.  You'll notice that it was never stated that Colin's dot gave information on how to find Quinn (which should have been the case if the story was real); and this was furthered in "The Alternateville Horror" when Quinn noted he had a different quantum signature than Colin.  These were also planted clues.

The story was in flux by mid-season because Jerry didn't really like the idea of his brother not being his brother; and Peckinpah's buddy Bill Dial didn't like the idea because he flat didn't like Zicree, so the original plan was finally torpedoed in "Lipschitz Live!" when Colin was shown to have a double.  That change was and is not fatal, though; all they would have needed to say was that the dot's story of two brothers was completely real with Colin as the real Kromagg Prime Colin and Quinn as a surrogate since the Maggs couldn't find the real Kromagg Prime version.

As for my own speculation on the last pieces to explain this?  The Kromaggs were invading every world the Sliders visited (as mentioned in the "Common Ground" online slide that stated they had finally won a hard fought battle to take over "Dream Master" earth).  This could be used to show that the Kromaggs had tagged Quinn in "Invasion" because they thought he had already come from Kromagg Prime since he had sliding technology; the tag was to get a road map once Quinn finally went back home (i.e. Kromagg Prime).

With "The Exodus", Quinn left a trail to that "Earth Prime", and the later invading Kromaggs found that Mrs. Mallory who explained how her son had expressed he found home.  This finally made the Maggs realize our Quinn was not the right one, but they also knew he would be coming back to this "Earth Prime" one day.  Trap is set.

Again, that last bit is speculation on my part; that ultimate "not Earth Prime" resolution was not planned out.

Sliders - The Dimension of Continuity
Same Internet; Different Information.

#7 2007-11-15 11:12 am

Slider_Quinn21

What really sucks is that the Kromagg Son storyline could've been very epic.  It could've been among the biggest season-long "surprise" arcs in Sci-Fi history.  And when it never happened, it all falls apart and it makes little sense.

It's a real shame because I think it would've put Sliders on the map.  At least in the Sci-Fi community.

#8 2007-11-16 12:47 am

Slidersfreak
Website

TemporalFlux wrote:

The story was in flux by mid-season because Jerry didn't really like the idea of his brother not being his brother; and Peckinpah's buddy Bill Dial didn't like the idea because he flat didn't like Zicree, so the original plan was finally torpedoed in "Lipschitz Live!" .

Another potential great Sliders moment ruined by Jerry O'Connell and Bill Dial. Thanks a lot, guys. I would have loved to have seen the payoff for that storyline. I mean, the whole idea of Quinn being from a parallel earth and having a long lost brother was completely ridiculous, and by abandoning the potential storyline, Peck and Bill Dial thought us fans would accept such rubbish? Please.

#9 2008-01-22 3:33 am

Majestic
Website

Yes Peck and his cronies did screw a lot up. I think that is why I write so many alternative season 4 fan fiction series. Well that and preferring the original four characters.

I remember reading somewhere about the Colin clone arc that was never used at the end of season 4. I think having Quinn as being tricked by the Kromaggs believing he was from Kromagg Prime would've been a great idea. It would've also given a better reason behind Wade's abduction, to use against Quinn if he ever found out about the trick making sure Quinn would help them regain their home world.

I too found Quinn's blind acceptance of the world in Exodus as home far fetched. They ran into near carbon copies of their world before like PTSS and the blue Golden Gate Bridge (Azure Gate Bridge) before. But by that point the series was going down the drain and when Exodus hit getting rid of Arturo and putting the Fox imposed Maggie menace in it was truly just another ordinary series.

I have to admit I did enjoy a few of the early season 3 episodes like Guardian, Season Greetings, Last of Eden etc though I hated Exodus, but the www.earthprime.com version (Exodus Excised) really salvages the episode. It still kills off the Professor but Maggie never joined to hunt down Rickman as Jensen wasn't her husband and didn't get killed by Rickman. It also never had Quinn finding Earth Prime (or what he believed was Earth Prime).

Sliders Fan and Administrator of MSFC and Writer of a new and upcoming Sliders Fan Fiction.

#10 2008-01-22 4:42 pm

Grizzlor
Website

Slidersfreak wrote:

TemporalFlux wrote:

The story was in flux by mid-season because Jerry didn't really like the idea of his brother not being his brother; and Peckinpah's buddy Bill Dial didn't like the idea because he flat didn't like Zicree, so the original plan was finally torpedoed in "Lipschitz Live!" .

Another potential great Sliders moment ruined by Jerry O'Connell and Bill Dial. Thanks a lot, guys. I would have loved to have seen the payoff for that storyline. I mean, the whole idea of Quinn being from a parallel earth and having a long lost brother was completely ridiculous, and by abandoning the potential storyline, Peck and Bill Dial thought us fans would accept such rubbish? Please.

Colin still could have been Quinn's brother, since Zicree proposed that he was a clone, right?  To consider the aptitude of Peck, Bill Dial, and Keith Damron, consider their resumes after Sliders.....(I know Peck is deceased).

#11 2008-06-11 10:38 am

arturo2shadow

I am biased since JRDS wrote this eps and I doubled him in many over-the-shoulder sequences. Especially the opening, car crash scene with the homeless guy and the shot Russian cosmotologist.
Read more LINK:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CheckingtheGate/message/1
Please join my Yahoo Group with it's behind the scenes articles and on set pics, IT"S FREE!

Star Trek Fan videos that tragically pirate copyright and licensed trademarks LINK:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hidden_frontier_/

Board footer