Sliders BBoard

Welcome back.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Sliders
  •  » Community: Welcome to Greendale, you're already accepted!

#51 2012-04-04 1:28 pm

Informant
The I in Team
Website

Re: Community: Welcome to Greendale, you're already accepted!

A valid point.

I think that while I would like to claim elements of each of the characters from the show, at my core I'm mostly Abed. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

"What would you rather have? Peace or freedom?"
-- Castiel

#52 2012-04-16 9:32 am

Informant
The I in Team
Website

"She was born in the 80's! She still uses her phone as a phone!"

Love that line. Didn't even realize how true it was until I realized that I've had the Community theme song as my ringtone for weeks now and I've actually heard it play maybe once.

-- Castiel

#53 2012-05-10 4:23 pm

ireactions

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen … bled=false

It looks like COMMUNITY may get what FRINGE got -- a final season of 13 episodes. I suppose it's better than cancellation, and it'll be a chance to complete the show's college arc.

#54 2012-05-10 5:40 pm

Informant
The I in Team
Website

It has been renewed for 13 episodes, but it is not being listed as the final season. Seems like that report was mixing up 30 Rock news with other shows. I had been hearing rumors about a shortened season but nothing about a final season for Community.

-- Castiel

#55 2012-05-11 2:07 pm

Slider_Quinn21

I read the same thing that Informant read.  13 episode season but not necessarily the final season.  You'd think with Office, Parks & Rec, and 30 Rock ending, they might want to keep something from their formerly-powerful Thursday Night Comedy lineup.

#56 2012-05-11 4:57 pm

eber3

Aw man, the office is going?

WAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#57 2012-05-11 7:06 pm

ireactions

Well, I'm glad to see that the fourth season hasn't been declared the final season! With an additional 13 episodes, COMMUNITY will hit 84 episodes. That's only four short of the usual 88 needed for an easy syndication sale, and there's already a syndication deal with Comedy Central. Given how low the ratings are, I can't help but think that pretty much any new season could be COMMUNITY's last. I would like to see the show find some way of getting into a fifth season, especially given Jeff's joke about how community colleges offer four year degrees and many community college students stay in school for five to seven years.

#58 2012-05-11 11:09 pm

Slider_Quinn21

eber3 wrote:

Aw man, the office is going?

Its not confirmed, but James Spader is already confirmed to be out.  I don't know when Dwight's spin-off is supposed to start, but he'll be gone.  Jim has reportedly asked to drop to part time (and Pam was already part time).  Andy is looking elsewhere.  And Mindy Kahling (Kelly) just got a pilot picked up.  There just won't be many people left.

This season's been okay, but I think it needed to end when Steve Carell left.

#59 2012-05-12 12:22 am

eber3

I was actually surprised how good this season was without Carrell. The only things I didn't like was Spaders character and the ugly English redhead character. Andy as the boss man surprisingly works well.

WAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#60 2012-05-13 1:01 pm

Chaser9
Website

"Don't worry, I've got an idea.  An idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."

#61 2012-05-13 1:58 pm

Slider_Quinn21

Well, like Fringe, I'm guessing we're moving into the final season of Community.  But, then again, I just don't think it will matter as much anymore.  Because the people that watch Community don't watch it on Thursday nights.  I've only watched it live twice, and it's one of my favorite shows.  So, honestly, I think these moves in the schedule will have less of an impact as online TV watching increases.

As far as this season goes, I've found Community to be a lot less "lough out loud" funny and a lot more clever.  The last several episodes have all been extremely well done (the Civil War episode, the Law and Order episode, the mental illness episode, etc) but not overly hilarious.  It's a different kind of funny, and I think it's really unique in that way.

#62 2012-05-13 5:48 pm

Informant
The I in Team
Website

My goodness, that schedule is a disaster. I thought the CW was in bad shape, and NBC couldn't be worse off than this year. Wow... that's bad. There are about two shows that look interesting and they're in throw-away slots.

-- Castiel

#63 2012-05-13 9:04 pm

JLBanker
Website

I like the schedule because after community is gone I will have no need to watch NBC.

Joshua Banker

#64 2012-05-14 8:29 am

ireactions

http://tvline.com/2012/05/13/community- … evy-chase/

Now this is alarming. COMMUNITY can survive without Chevy Chase, but without Dan Harmon to run it, would there be any point?

Obviously, there are a lot of talented writers on that staff, but I can't help but think that the show's consistent level of excellence has to do with the man at the top running quality control, willing to do things like change Troy from being a dumb jock and change Britta from being an ingenue. The first season was entirely Harmon, and he commented that the writers he'd hired often wondered why they were even on staff when their boss did all their work. In the second season, he loosened up significantly, but even then -- we've all seen shows that lost their lead showrunner and had replacements struggling to mimic someone else's personal style. Jane Espenson and Tim Minear and David Greenwalt could to a version of Whedonspeak, but GILMORE GIRLS without Amy Sherman Palladino didn't sound like GILMORE GIRLS anymore. LIE TO ME without Samuel Baum or Shawn Ryan was pathetic. THE DEAD ZONE without Michael Piller was dead inside. COMMUNITY, more than any other show, is based in the highly idiosyncratic style of a specific individual... and I can't even begin to guess what would happen to COMMUNITY if Harmon wasn't working on it.

There is very little COMMUNITY fanfic I would recommend because few fanfic writers have ever captured the tone and dialogue of the series, despite the fact that COMMUNITY is set in a community college where anything is possible. Maybe that could be the show's saving grace without Harmon. It would be a shame if COMMUNITY only gets 13 more episodes and those episodes fall short of the first three seasons.

#65 2012-05-14 9:13 am

Informant
The I in Team
Website

I agree that it is a little scary to think about (though I would argue that Gilmore Girls started falling before AS-P left). Some shows can survive this sort of thing, but the voice of Community would he hard to mimic... I would be scared to try. Trying too hard to sound like Community without really being Community would be horrible.

I hope they work this out.

-- Castiel

#66 2012-05-14 10:43 am

ireactions

Funny how Bob Greenblatt has gone from the guy who sought to replace the showrunner of a quirky, unique dramedy (SLIDERS in Season 3) to a guy who would prefer that the original showrunner stay exactly where he is.

In fact, it's kind of amusing how COMMUNITY and SLIDERS have so much in common. Both SLIDERS and COMMUNITY were overseen by Bob Greenblatt, who was the President of FOX during the dreaded Season 3. Both shows are about mismatched personalities who've been forced together by circumstance. Both involve an elder statesman of the acting community who is perpetually at odds with the showrunner of the series whether it's the original guy or his replacement and whose public disdain for the series he works on is a continual source of friction and discontent. If Dan Harmon turns out to have a UFO obsession, I will be forced to conclude that Tracy Tormé and Dan Harmon are actually the same person and Tormé changed his name and face in an attempt to rejuvenate his career. It's possible. I mean, have you *ever* seen Tracy and Dan together?

#67 2012-05-14 4:01 pm

Informant
The I in Team
Website

The difference being that Harmon realized the potential of Community while Torme never really could/did with Sliders.

-- Castiel

#68 2012-05-19 9:19 am

Chaser9
Website

"Don't worry, I've got an idea.  An idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."

#69 2012-05-19 9:25 am

Slider_Quinn21

Well......F.

#70 2012-05-19 9:47 am

ireactions

I'll give Season 4 a chance. Obviously, the situation isn't ideal. However, it's important to remember that while Dan Harmon ruled the writer's room with an iron fist, a lot of the things that make COMMUNITY special come from an extensive staff of talented writers. Andrew Guest. Emily Cutler. Hilary Winston. Hopefully, the new showrunners will make use of this and also make sure the cast have a lot of input into their characters and making each scene unfold.

It's also important to remember that Season 1 COMMUNITY is a *very* different show from Season 3 COMMUNITY. The show started out as the Jeff Winger show and was set exclusively on the community college campus. The show started out with Troy as a jock and Britta as the perfect ingenue and with Troy and Pierce as the comedic duo as opposed to Troy and Abed. COMMUNITY has always been a moving target in terms of format and characterization, which means there is no one true way to do this show. In fact, various blocks of episodes have felt like alternate-universe versions of the show -- which is why I keep comparing it to SLIDERS. Yes, Dan Harmon created the unique voice for this show, but many writers on staff have been able to mimic and expand on it as well, and hopefully, that will keep the show going.

Also, COMMUNITY is a show about individual, episodic stories with the character arcs being in terms of subtle developments in the actors' performances. It isn't like a new writer taking over in mid-season for FRINGE or GILMORE GIRLS or EVERWOOD: COMMUNITY is all about an individual story that each week that stands or falls on its own merits.

I don't think this is a situation where Harmon has been fired for refusing to make changes in the show or refusing to alter it -- I think, more likely, it's his social media presence and his creating unprofessional scandals. If my employee were posting every single exchange on Twitter and Tumblr, I'd hesitate to let him know I wasn't renewing his contract. He is notoriously difficult to work with, and while he gets creative results, he doesn't get financial results or make friends well. Where on one end of the spectrum, you have JH Wyman and Jeff Pinker who are diplomatic and professional, on the other end is Dan Harmon: who verbally abuses fans when they say silly things due to having a poor grasp of the English language, who mocks his employers in interviews, who leads cast and crew in cursing out actors and plays private voicemails for all to hear. Harmon is a severely troubled and difficult person who has the gift of channeling his neuroses and inner demons into magnificent creations -- but it's not the only way.

I guess I'm just saying -- let's give these new guys a chance! SLIDERS could have worked without Torme if Marc Scott Zicree had been his replacement. THE WEST WING could have kept a consistent tone if David Greenwalt had replaced Aaron Sorkin.  LIE TO ME could have been great if Tim Roth hadn't taken over the show when Samuel Baum and Shawn Ryan left. And COMMUNITY could be great too.

#71 2012-05-19 9:59 am

Informant
The I in Team
Website

I agree about giving it a chance. But if the order from the top is to make the show more accessible to a wider audience, I do worry.

Capturing the voice of a show and carrying it on is a talent that some people have... but it can also go very badly.

-- Castiel

#72 2012-05-19 10:23 am

JLBanker
Website

I finally have been getting into this show.  My brother and I have been doing a marathon getting through the first 2 seasons of the show and it has been a lot of fun.  It does seem that Dan Harmon comes off as a jerk publicly so I to don't blame them but it will be really sad if the show suffers in what may be the final season.  Maybe after the show ends it's run on NBC Dan can make the "Community" movie.

Joshua Banker

#73 2012-05-19 10:34 am

ireactions

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/dan-harm … -sony.html

Some interesting analysis here on how Dan Harmon is a talented creator but not a good manager, as Sony sees it. And how they have hopes for getting the show to a fifth and sixth season and they didn't want to pin their hopes on Dan Harmon for it.

Regardless of what the future holds, the last three episodes of Season 3 were a fitting conclusion to the Dan Harmon era, and even if the show doesn't work out in Season 4, Seasons 1 - 3 are perfectly intact and wonderful, just like Seasons 1 - 2 of SLIDERS.

#74 2012-05-20 7:12 am

ireactions

David Guarascio and Moses Port, the new showrunners, once did a pilot (with Joel McHale) that was an American version of THE IT CROWD. An American version where they smartly hired one of the actors from the UK version to PLAY THE SAME CHARACTER.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/19/who- … lots-a-us/

And from watching a bit of these guys' rhythm and execution, I suddenly started to have a very good feeling about COMMUNITY's future in their capable hands.

#75 2012-05-20 1:03 pm

Transmodiar
Website

Vulture wrote:

...the studio is probably figuring that while Community with Harmon would have almost assuredly been entering its final season, a change at the top creatively might somehow result in viewers giving the series another chance...

They're right. I was done with this show until I heard the news. Now I'm interested to see what the new showrunners might do. "Happy Endings" wasn't the greatest sitcom ever imagined but at the very least it didn't have stop-motion animations showcasing a character's slow descent into insanity.

This season has weathered a horrendous tonal shift from season 1 and parts of season 2. The comedy is now insular, the writing for each character broad and unappealing. As someone who started and kept watching because it was a fun, quirky comedy, and as someone who finds Dan Harmon's manchild act ridiculous, I gotta agree that booting his troublesome ass is the right move.

Let the healing begin.

aka Matt Hutaff
Earth Prime

• Index
  •  » Sliders
  •  » Community: Welcome to Greendale, you're already accepted!

Board footer